Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Wonders Of My World

My monthly musings...







  • Last week, I decided to throw a surprise party for my mum - two days before her birthday. With the help of a few good friends, we managed to turn a milestone in my mum's life into an enjoyable and unforgettable event. It was priceless seeing the completely stunned look on her face when everyone shouted 'Surprise' from behind a darkened room. Thanks to all our friends for making the party possible on such short notice :)

  • Small Town, SA (literally) had it's fifteen minutes of fame on an episode of the TV variety show, Pasella. In the feature, our town was presented in all it's historic glory and we discovered things we never knew we had right at our front door. You can read about it on the Pasella website.

  • Every time the Sanex body wash adverts appear on TV, I cringe and  quickly change the channel. It's like they're trying to repel than actually 'sell' the product. The ad is really eerie, it should come with a warning for sensitive viewers.

  • Advice to friends: When a semi-cute but slightly creepy Italian boy (with an accent) offers to iron/curl your hair for free in the middle of a busy mall walkway...you should know that there has to be catch.

  • I used to get mildly annoyed when people took days to respond to a simple text message. Could it really take 48 hours to type a one-line-reply? Then, I got a response to an email after one year. One year? Really? Now I'm just grateful that I get any replies to anything at all.

  • This whole satchel bag trend is not working for me - and I did try. It isn't possible to fit all my junk stuff into a an A5 book-sized miniature pouch. That's why we have the oversized Alexa Mulberry bag.

  • I have been putting off a much-needed trip to The Dentist, even though 'the dentist' is my kind and dear brother. You think you're going in for a routine scale and polish and then find out that you actually need 5 fillings, 2 extractions and a root canal. Having never had any of these before, I'm allowed to be afraid. 

  • The one day of the year that I had to wake up early also happened to be the coldest day of the year. The temperature dropped to minus 6 degrees and there was no water because all the pipes had frozen. I'm taking this as some sort of a sign that I shouldn't be up that early again.

  • I was a huge fan of Natalia Kills, until she became famous and morphed into the darker-haired but equally creepy version of Lady Gaga. Do singers have to act insane to sell records these days?

  • When I asked my friend Annie what she was going to buy with her very first paycheck, she said to me that there isn't anything that she needs, only she things that she wants. It got me thinking; so often the line between 'needs' and 'wants' is blurred, that we end up with tons of things that are more 'pretty' than practical.



0 comments:

Post a Comment